Tuesday, December 15, 2009

MOVING DAY TODAY


We live on campus right now, an easy stroll to both Robert's office and mine. We can wait 7 minutes before work or school starts, and then roll out of bed. There are deer, quails, bluejays, squirrels, and raccoons surrounding us. They get musical on us. We have great neighbors. I can 'ooh' and 'aah' over the neighbors' babies and kids, and they don't mind so much. So why move?

The rent. The rent has gotten ridiculous in the past year (up to $1,301 now) and they're raising the cost again in July 2010 to $1,400 or close to that. We still have to pay for PG&E and the poor insulation means I have to keep the heater on most of the day and the night. Or I walk around with pajamas, a robe, and a fuzzy blanket on. Really, it's a great place - so spacious! But we have got to find a new place so we can redirect some of the money towards other things.

Like Robert's classes for example. He'll start attending Cabrillo College this fall to take pre-requisite courses for a Physical Therapy degree in the future. But I'll let him tell you about that. We're very excited!

So the new place we're moving to: a really "cozy" apartment in the Seabright area. We picked it because it's definitely within our housing budget, and utilities are included. What's fun though -- and this was actually a factor of our standards for the new place -- is it's close to the Pacific Edge climbing gym! (I like to tell people this at the gym.) Robert describes our new place as "mostly a kitchen" which was also a big factor, actually! The predicament is where to station our office desk. But other than that, it's wonderful, and we're looking forward to making it work!

In a way, it's an answered prayer to our hope for destuffifying. (My mom-in-love simply calls it destuffing, which is actually better and shorter, but Robert and I like to keep it cooky and complicated.) We are learning to let go of 'things'. I am such a sentimental sap and want to keep everything, but I can't. Not at this place. And we can't just store everything at our parents' house, hehe. So we'll see how much we can destuffify!

A list of things we'll have to buy as necessities: curtains and curtain rods (for more privacy) and wood (to build more storage shelves). We'll post up before and after photos on another blog entry! We're just waiting for the key!

Dear Koshland house, Thank you for hosting us for a year and a half. We really were very fortunate to have been able to live here and host so many people as well! We even fit as much as 9 people sleeping over with you! Thank you for letting us sing karaoke here and experimenting in your kitchen. Thank you for hearing us out through our heated discussions and our making-up in our first year of marriage. Thank you for keeping us dry and warm. We will never forget having lived here. We met wonderful neighbors who are now our friends. I will miss you. With love, Jimi

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're right about the rent! We pay less than that for our home mortgage payment!! Sure you don't want to move to Wyoming??? :)

K@ said...

I think my heart shed a tear when I read this entry =(

I shall miss you oh-so-much as well Koshland ... thank you for sheltering love, spontaneous laughter & snore sessions!

Looking forward to visiting the new abode =)

Unknown said...

Koshland is nice!
I totally thought the rent was bad at UCSC FSH. Berkeley's is much worse- between 1500-2000 for the equivalant.
Now I would take UCSC FSH over this.
Think about the loans- yesh!
Your story reminded me of the deer that used to walk up when I was at UCSC. Some many friends too. I miss it. Its beautifully said- I miss it there.
Good luck on the move :)